Assisting you in living an active lifestyle
The pain and discomfort of osteoarthritis may be robbing you of your ability to live an active, fulfilling life. At Axis, we aim to turn that around. While there is no definitive cure for osteoarthritis, surgery is certainly not the only option. There are proven treatments that can keep you active (or get you active again) and help to manage your symptoms.
Even for those with minor symptoms, or an early diagnosis, getting started with treatment now can significantly improve your long-term health.
Our clinic brings together a range of medical and health specialists to provide a comprehensive osteoarthritis treatment plan that looks at non-surgical options to improve your wellbeing.
Why this approach?
The best evidence for the treatment of osteoarthritis is through weight loss and targeted activity:
- Engaging in regular physical activity can reduce medication dependence, help maintain functional independence, and improve the quality of life.
- Exercise rehabilitation has been shown to elicit a >20% reduction in pain, as well as improvements in physical function.
- Being overweight increases the risk of knee osteoarthritis onset and can significantly increase pain for those with osteoarthritis.
- A reduction of 5% of body weight can lead to a 30% improvement in pain and function while a reduction of 10% of body weight can reduce symptoms by more than half.
How does the clinic work?
We offer our patients two options:
- A dedicated 12-week programme where our team design an overall plan for you and work closely with you over 12 weeks to help you implement it.
- A one-off consultation, assessment, and programme development. The ongoing management is left to you.
Lastly, if necessary, a sub-specialist Orthopaedic Surgeon is available to provide surgical options.
How much is it?
The 12-week programme is $75 per week*
- Consultation with a Sport and Exercise Physician, Clinical Exercise Physiologist and if necessary a Dietitian.
- Exercise Prescription – our Clinical Exercise Physiologist will design you an exercise programme (involving aerobic and resistance training), with the aim of getting you moving safely and confidently.
- Nutrition Plan – our Dietitian will run you through a personalised nutrition plan developed to help get you to a healthy weight to assist with minimising some of your arthritic pain.
- Weekly Gym Sessions - 2-3 monitored gym sessions per week at our rehab gym with our Clinical
Exercise Physiologist. This includes the use of our onsite state of the art rehab gym.
- Monitoring - Ongoing assessment and programme adjustments.
- Re-assessment - our team will review how things have progressed and give you an ongoing plan to help you continue managing your arthritis.
One-off consultation is $250*
- This only includes the initial consultations, exercise prescription and nutrition plan.
- Perfect for those wanting to self manage their treatment.
*Exact costs may vary depending on your insurance. Please check with your provider for your level of cover.
Do I need a referral?
Yes, before seeing us you will need a referral from your physio, doctor, nurse or other medical professional.
Make an appointment
All you need to do is call 09 521 9846